Shared Ownership

Shared Ownership Schemes

The basic idea of the Shared Ownership schemes are that the buyers can purchase a share of the property using savings or a mortgage, and pay rent on the remaining amount.

By owning larger shares of the property, the rent price comes down, and more shares can be bought whenever the buyer would like to.

This gives a freedom to buy as much of the property as the buyer wants, or to continue paying rent in order to build up their savings. Buyers should be aware however that these Shared Ownership schemes are leasehold schemes, so they will be responsible for financing repairs or improvements.

The buyer has to purchase between 25% and 75% of the property in the Shared Ownership schemes by taking out a mortgage, buying a council house or from a housing association. The government will own the remaining 25% - 75%, and charge rent on that percentage.

It is possible for the buyer to purchase more shares in the house at any point after becoming an owner, but the price of the shares is dependent on the property prices in the area. The house will have to be valued before a new share can be bought in order to work out the price, but beware as the buyer will be responsible for paying the valuation fees.
The people targeted for these Shared Ownership schemes are those with a household income under £60,000 a year, first time house buyers (or buyers who used to own a house but now do not and cannot otherwise afford to) or those who rent from a council or from a housing association.
If the buyer owns 100% of the property by the time they wish to move, they can sell the home off themselves. However, for 21 years after fully owning the property, the housing association who shared the ownership have a right to buy it first. If they refuse the offer, the house may be sold on the open market. This is known as 'first refusal' and must be kept in mind.
Pros Cons
Buyers only have to buy a portion of the property's overall value (25% - 75%) Buyer has to pay for valuation fees
Can buy more shares to lower rent price Alternative routes for buyers with disabilities
Alternative routes for buyers with disabilities  
Helps first time buyers to purchase their first homes  
Can work towards owning 100% of the property  

Note: For a free no obligation chat with an independant mortgage specialist about your requirements please complete our mortgage enquiry form below.

Make a Free - No Obligation Mortgage Enquiry

Stop Press: Find the perfect mortgage!
Lending criteria has been relaxed and our specialists can find you great mortgage offers to compare.
Our team do all the work to find you the best offer
We'll help you find the best mortgage for your needs and ensure that everything runs as smoothly as possible.
Deposits required are again falling
The cost of the best deals has dropped recently for those borrowing either 80%, 85% or 90% of their property's value
Independent, searching the whole market
With 1000's of mortgage products available our mortgage brokers will source the mortgage that suits your situation.
Please complete this quick, free enquiry form.



Your Details

Home Buyer guides

Home Buyer News

Speak with an independant mortgage specialist

About Company is part of the SFN Network of websites. Sitefinders Net Ltd is a U.K based company setup in 1995. Our core business is the development of online businesses using the generic domain name concept. We have a growing portfolio of websites in many different industries such as electronics, finance, retail, seasonal and health.

Privacy Policy

Get in Touch