When meeting with banks and building societies to try and arrange a mortgage, they will require you to bring a range of documents. These are needed to prove your financial history, and that the mortgage repayments will be met each month.

Although the banks should inform you of the documents needed in advance of the meeting, the best strategy is to gather all the paperwork you might need, as soon as possible, to make the application process more efficient.

Standard mortgages tend to require more paperwork than buy-to-let mortgages, but there are still many documents you may be asked for, such as:

  • Proof of income this is often your last three months payslips
  • Proof of mortgage statement on existing property
  • Proof of rental income
  • Proof of deposit if you’re receiving help from a donor you also need their written confirmation
  • Proof of bonuses and commission
  • Proof of ID e.g. passport
  • Proof of your address
  • Your most recent P60 tax form
  • Your SA302 tax return forms although this is mainly for those who are self-employed

Some documents, such as the SA302 tax return forms, can take several weeks to receive from HMRC, so it is important to gather your documents early.

Mortgage Calculator

Equity Loan Mortgage Calculator

Whether you're a first-time buyer or already a property owner you could buy a new home with a small deposit of 5%, heres how.

How Help to Buy Equity Loans Work

  • First time buyers and those already on the property ladder can apply.
  • To qualify a 5% deposit is required.
  • A 75% mortgage must be secured from your bank or building society.
  • The remaining 20% of the property’s value is funded by an equity loan provided by the Government.
  • House prices can’t be more than £600,000 in England and £300,000 in Wales.