Ex-council homes (Preserved Right to Buy)

The vast majority of people living in housing association properties do not qualify for the Right to Buy scheme. However, provided that you are a council tenant and were living in your home when it was transferred from your council to another landlord, such as a housing association, then you may have what is known as a Preserved Right to Buy.

If you have the Preserved Right to Buy, then you can buy your home under the scheme in the same way as if you were still a council tenant. Your landlord will be able to tell you whether you have the Preserved Right to Buy.

Right to Acquire

If you do not qualify for a Preserved Right to Buy then you may still be able to get another, smaller discount on your property, through another scheme known as Right to Acquire. It is possible that this might change, however, and you should consult with authorities before planning any future purchase.

If you are a housing association tenant in England, you could be eligible to buy the home you rent at a discount of between £9,000 and £16,000 on the price of your home. This discount amount will be different, as the rate that you will receive depends on where you live.

Future plans to extend Right to Buy

The government has plans to extend Right to Buy to more housing association tenants. While the plans for this are currently in the development phase, a pilot has been conducted and produced reasonably positive results.

Note: For a free no obligation chat with an independent mortgage specialist about your requirements please complete our mortgage enquiry form below.



House Price





Min (5% of house price)£2,500


Max (30% of house price)£15,000

Interest Rate





Min25 Years

30 Years

Max35 Years

Without Help to Buy

Your deposit£2,5005%
Your mortgage£47,50095%
Monthly Payment£213.30 

With Help to Buy

Your deposit£2,5005%
Help to Buy Loan£10,00020%
Your mortgage£37,50075%
Monthly Payment£168.39 

This calculator is provided to give you basic guidance only. This information is computer-generated and relies on certain assumptions. It has only been designed to give a useful general indication of costs. Its important you always get a specific quote from the lender and double-check the price yourself before acting on the information. We cannot accept responsibility for any errorsand recommend that you obtain exact figures from a specific lender before committing to any mortgage.